If your windows aren’t looking their best, they might need a little bit of TLC to stay protected against the weather elements. Here is a guide to show you how to breathe new life into your windows and trim with Dulux Aquanamel.
What you'll need:
- Dulux Aquanamel® in your chosen sheen and colour
- Dulux 1Step® Prep
- Drop sheet
- Flat paddle paint stirrer
- Wide paint brush
- Painting pot
- Medium Grit sandpaper
- Damp cloth
- Painter’s tape
- Selleys Original Sugar Soap
- Let’s get started. Choose a sheen level that suits your home. Semi Gloss is the perfect complement to low sheen walls, or you may look for a distinct Gloss finish.
- Select your chosen colour. You can use the Dulux colour chips to closely match the existing paintwork on your windows, or try a new colour to refresh the look.
- Before you start painting, lay down a drop sheet and start prepping your windows.
- Windows are one of those places in the home that collect dust and cobwebs, so be sure to give yours a good clean with Selleys Original Sugar Soap before painting.
Tip: Dulux Aquanamel is a durable, non-yellowing, water based enamel paint that is low odour, fast drying and has easy water wash up.
- It is important to test the adhesion on all previously painted surfaces by cutting a small ‘X’ through the existing paint with a sharp blade, press cellulose tape firmly across the cut and then rip off the tape. If the paint comes off, it is unsound and should be removed.
- Mask around your window frame and glass with tape to prevent accidental splatters interfering with your walls or view.
- The last step in prepping your windows, is to apply a good quality undercoat. Paint your windows with one coat of Dulux 1Step Prep and then leave to dry for at least 2 hours.
- Stir your paint thoroughly using and up and down scooping motion. Dip your brush half way into the paint and tap it against the side of the pot to remove any excess. Working quickly, paint next to the glass around the sills first using short horizontal brush strokes. Avoid dabbing the paint.
- Work around the window frame progressively outwards until you finish with the edge against the wall.
- For best results, lightly go over the wet area you’ve just painted using long brush strokes, then leave to dry. This will help achieve a smooth finish.
Window colour schemes
More how to guides
A fresh coat of paint can have an incredible effect on the feel of your home. Using Dulux Weathershield will reviatlise your home brickwork exterior and provide a lasting look designed for Australian conditions.
There are some key points to note when preparing to paint exterior areas. Using the correct technique and quality paints will result in a painting job that is faster, cheaper and easier to use than alternative methods.
Improve your street appeal easily by refreshing the paintwork on your front fence. With our helpful video and step-by-step guide, you can take on your front fence in one day.
First impressions count. A fresh lick of Dulux paint on your front door can freshen up the look of your whole house. It creates a warm welcome for visitors while making your home the street's style star.