Dulux Metallic Effects creates the look of glimmering metal and Pearl Effect creates the glamorous lustre of natural pearl.
Products you will need
- Dulux Metallic Effect or Pearl Effect paint.
- Quality masking tape.
- A paint stirrer and drop sheet.
- Medium nap roller, roller tray.
- Depending on the look you are after – a wide brush, roller or muslin may be used.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions on the product label before you begin.
- Surface must be clean, dry and free from dust, oils and grease.
- Mask off the area with painters tape – where you don’t want any paint, such as adjacent walls.
- Stir the paint well with a paint stirrer using an up and down scooping action. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the can to ensure particles are evenly distributed.
- Practice your application technique on a large, spare piece of board.
- Brush around the edges of the wall or area you are painting.
- Apply the first base coat with the roller as you would normally paint.
- Allow drying time as specified on the label.
- Working in small sections, apply the second coat with the roller.
- While the paint is still wet apply a texture. Using a wide brush, dry roller or muslin, drag the paint in a random, overlapping pattern.
- For a brushed finish, lay off lightly with a brush.
Suggested areas to paint
- Dulux Metallic Effect – interior feature walls, doors, trim areas and furniture.
- Dulux Pearl Effect – interior feature walls, furniture or accessories.
- All these finishes have a shine so they tend to highlight any surface defects.
- When painting, resist the temptation to touch up as you go as it will ruin the effect.
- In high traffic areas a clear coat is recommended. See label for more information.
Related how to guides
Want to create a feature wall with a real difference? Dulux Design Rust makes creating an authentic, rusted iron finish on just about any surface quick and simple.
Be inspired by the unique textures of Dulux Design Suede and Design Stone Effect to create depth and dimension to your home.
Dulux Design Copper Effect creates the look of lustrous, metallic copper. Use on it's own or add Dulux Copper Patina Effect to create the green patination of aged copper.
Enjoy the refined modern industrial textural effect of Dulux Concrete Effect. Make a statement in your home on interior walls in the living room, bedroom, or study.
Dulux Gold Effect is a luxurious finish that creates the look of shimmering gold and Dulux Stainless Steel Effect gives a sleek, stylish stainless steel appearance.
Dulux Glitter Effect can be used in residential or commercial spaces for a sophisticated and versatile look.
Dulux Design Chalk Effect, is an ultra matt chalk paint designed for you to upcycle and create unique pieces within your home.