First impressions count. A fresh lick of Dulux paint on your front door can freshen up the look of your whole house. It creates a warm welcome for visitors while making your home the street’s style star.
- Before you get started, the most important thing to consider is the colour. Make sure you choose a shade that reflects your personality and gives people a taste of what they can experience on the inside.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with bright colours – they’re a great way to make neutral exteriors like concrete renders or brown bricks ‘pop’.
- Then, it’s time to prep your door. If you’re painting over existing paint work you’ll likely find that it’s coated in either a gloss or semi-gloss paint. For best results and to ensure maximum adhesion, sand your surface thoroughly and dust off before painting.
- If you’re painting onto a bare surface, over a darker colour or a repaired surface, a coat of primer is recommended to seal your surface and provide the ideal base for painting. Apply 1 coat of Dulux® 1 Step® Acrylic Primer, Sealer & Undercoat and leave it to dry for two hours.
- Finally, it’s time to give your door a fresh look. Apply two coats of Dulux® Aquanamel® in your chosen colour. For the best finish, allow a minimum of two hours drying time between each coat then enjoy the new look.
More how to guides
If your windows aren’t looking their best, they might need a little bit of TLC to stay protected against the weather elements.
Improve your street appeal easily by refreshing the paintwork on your front fence. With our helpful video and step-by-step guide, you can take on your front fence in one day.