To achieve a great finish, always work in sections and paint up to a natural break before stopping. Never try to paint over an area that is partially dried, as the brush will leave marks in the surface. If you see a run in the wet paint, paint over it as soon as possible with light even strokes.
- Before use, flick the bristles back and forth to remove dust. Then moisten the brush in water if you are about to use a water-based paint, or turps if you are about to use an oil-based paint. Make sure you remove excess liquid before painting.
- Fill the brush by dipping in up to half the length of the bristles.
- Tap it gently against the side of the can: don't wipe the brush hard against the lip. The bristles should flex only slightly as you brush - don't over press - let the paint flow from the brush.
- Start at the top and work down, painting with light even strokes, working back into the wet edge.
- If you are painting a large area by brush, apply paint to an area about 50cm X 50cm, then brush the paint in horizontal strokes to even the paint out and finish off with light vertical strokes all in one direction. If you are using a brush and roller, paint the edges of the area first.
Paint Application Pads
Application pads can be used for cutting in where there are lots of edges to paint around.
- Simply load the pad with paint using a paintbrush.
- Place it on the wall, checking the guide wheels are clean and run the wheels along the architrave, skirting or corner.
- Use long even strokes with firm pressure.
More how to guides
Colour reflects who we are and who we aspire to be. It’s expressive, fun, creative, complimentary and always conversational. At Dulux we love it! That's why we want to provide you with the best tools to find your perfect paint colour.