Dulux Copper Effect creates the look of lustrous, metallic copper. Use on it's own or add Dulux Copper Patina Effect to create the green patination of aged copper.
Products you will need
- Dulux Copper Effect paint and Dulux Copper Patina Effect solution.
- Quality masking tape.
- A paint stirrer and drop sheet.
- Medium nap roller, roller tray and a 100mm paint brush.
- Depending on the look you are after – a wide brush, roller or muslin may be used.
- Wide-top shallow container for the Copper Patina Effect solution.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions on the product label before you begin.
- Mask off the area with painters tape – where you don’t want any paint, such as adjacent walls.
- Stir the paint well with a paint stirrer using an up and down scooping action. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the can to ensure particles are evenly distributed.
- Practice your application technique on a large, spare piece of board.
- Brush around the edges of the wall or area you are painting.
- Apply the first base coat of the Copper Effect with a brush or a roller, as you would normally paint.
- Working in small sections, apply the second coat with a roller.
- While the paint is still wet create an effect. Using a wide brush, dry roller or muslin drag it in a random, overlapping pattern.
- If using Copper Patina Effect, apply when Copper Effect is touch dry (after 2 hours but within 12 hours).
- Apply Copper Patina Effect solution by brush or muslin in a random pattern.
- The aged effect will continue to develop over days and weeks.
- A second coat of Copper Patina Effect can be applied if required (within 12 hours of the final Copper Effect coat). This won’t deepen the effect, but fill in patches that were missed initially.
- The level of patina will vary depending on drying time and application method.
- The patina can be rubbed off when touched. On exterior surfaces, patination run-off may stain adjacent surfaces.
Related how to guides
Dulux Gold Effect is a luxurious finish that creates the look of shimmering gold and Dulux Stainless Steel Effect gives a sleek, stylish stainless steel appearance.
Want to create a feature wall with a real difference? Dulux Design Rust makes creating an authentic, rusted iron finish on just about any surface quick and simple.
Be inspired by the unique textures of Dulux Design Suede and Design Stone Effect to create depth and dimension to your home.
Create that high-fashion look at home with added impact and dimension using Dulux Design Metallic and Design Pearl effect paints.
Enjoy the refined modern industrial textural effect of Dulux Concrete Effect. Make a statement in your home on interior walls in the living room, bedroom, or study.
Dulux Glitter Effect can be used in residential or commercial spaces for a sophisticated and versatile look.
Dulux Design Chalk Effect, is an ultra matt chalk paint designed for you to upcycle and create unique pieces within your home.