Enjoy the refined modern industrial textural effect of Dulux Concrete Effect. Make a statement in your home on interior walls in the living room, bedroom, or study.
Products you will need
- Dulux Design Concrete Effect paint.
- Quality masking tape.
- A paint stirrer and drop sheet.
- Long nap roller, roller tray and a 100mm paint brush.
- Steel trowel.
- 600 grit sandpaper.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions on the product label before you begin.
- Mask off the area with painters tape – where you don’t want any paint, such as adjacent walls.
- Stir the paint well with a paint stirrer using an up and down scooping action. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the can to ensure particles are evenly distributed.
- Practice your application technique on a large, spare piece of board.
- Work in small sections. Use a long nap roller to apply to the wall.
- Smooth the surface with a steel trowel with broad, sweeping strokes, holding the trowel at a 60° to 80° angle. Be sure to keep the working edge of the trowel clean by wiping paint build up with a damp cloth.
- Repeat this process over the entire wall, overlapping sections as you go. Allow at least 2 hours between coats.
- Apply 3 coats using the same process.
- Allow final coat to dry for at least 2 hours, no longer than 24 hours, before polishing.
- Using 600 grit sandpaper, lightly polish the surface in a circular motion.
- Use the edge of the trowel to further polish the surface. Apply enough pressure to keep the trowel edge flat against the surface. Be careful not to gouge the surface with the edge of the trowel.
- Dust the surface with a soft cloth to remove the sanding residue.
Suggested areas to paint
- Feature walls in rooms such as bedrooms, studies and living rooms.
- The more you polish the final coat, the more depth of colour you will see.
- For a more textured effect, don’t completely smooth the surface – leave imperfections.
- For further protection, seal with one coat of Berger® Jet Dry® Stone & Paving Sealer in Natural finish mixed with water at a 1:1 ratio.
Related how to guides
Want to create a feature wall with a real difference? Dulux Design Rust makes creating an authentic, rusted iron finish on just about any surface quick and simple.
Be inspired by the unique textures of Dulux Design Suede and Design Stone Effect to create depth and dimension to your home.
Create that high-fashion look at home with added impact and dimension using Dulux Design Metallic and Design Pearl effect paints.
Dulux Design Copper Effect creates the look of lustrous, metallic copper. Use on it's own or add Dulux Copper Patina Effect to create the green patination of aged copper.
Dulux Gold Effect is a luxurious finish that creates the look of shimmering gold and Dulux Stainless Steel Effect gives a sleek, stylish stainless steel appearance.
Dulux Glitter Effect can be used in residential or commercial spaces for a sophisticated and versatile look.
Dulux Design Chalk Effect, is an ultra matt chalk paint designed for you to upcycle and create unique pieces within your home.