Creates a subtle shimmering, textural finish. Perfect for gates, fences, trim and decorative metal features.
Products you will need
- Metal Shimmer Effect paint.
- Quality masking tape.
- A paint stirrer and drop sheet.
- Medium nap roller, roller tray and a 100mm paint brush.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions on the product label before you begin.
- Mask off the area with painters tape – where you don’t want any paint, such as adjacent walls.
- Stir the paint well with a paint stirrer using an up and down scooping action. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the can to ensure particles are evenly distributed.
- Practice your application technique on a large, spare piece of board.
- Brush around the edges of the wall or the area you are painting.
- Apply the first base coat with the roller as you would normally paint.
- Allow drying time as specified on the label.
- Working in small sections, apply the second coat with the roller.
- While the paint is still wet apply a texture. Using a wide brush, dry roller or muslin, drag the paint in a random, overlapping pattern.
- Ideal for gates, fences, trim and decorative metal features.
- When painting, resist the temptation to touch up as you go as it will ruin the effect.
- Start in a top corner and work your way diagonally into the wall.
Related how to guides
Want to create a feature wall with a real difference? Dulux Design Rust makes creating an authentic, rusted iron finish on just about any surface quick and simple.