Dulux Gold Effect is a luxurious finish that creates the look of shimmering gold and Dulux Stainless Steel Effect gives a sleek, stylish stainless steel appearance.
Products you will need
- Dulux Stainless Steel Effect or Gold Effect paint.
- Quality masking tape.
- A paint stirrer and drop sheet.
- Medium nap roller, roller tray.
- Depending on the look you are after – a wide brush, roller or muslin may be used.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions on the product label before you begin.
- Surface must be clean, dry and free from dust, oils and grease.
- Mask off the area with painters tape – where you don’t want any paint, such as adjacent walls.
- Stir the paint well with a paint stirrer using an up and down scooping action. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the can to ensure particles are evenly distributed.
- Practice your application technique on a large, spare piece of board.
- Brush around the edges of the wall or area you are painting.
- Apply the first base coat with the roller as you would normally paint.
- Allow drying time as specified on the label.
- Working in small sections, apply the second coat with the roller.
- While the paint is still wet apply a texture. Using a wide brush, dry roller or muslin, drag the paint in a random, overlapping pattern.
- Stainless Steel Effect requires a third coat.
- For a brushed finish, lay off lightly with a brush.
- All these finishes have a shine so they tend to highlight any surface defects.
- When painting, resist the temptation to touch up as you go as it will ruin the effect.
- In high traffic areas a clear coat is recommended. See label for more information.
Related how to guides
Dulux Glitter Effect can be used in residential or commercial spaces for a sophisticated and versatile look.