Improve your street appeal easily by refreshing the paintwork on your front fence. With our helpful video and step-by-step guide, you can take on your front fence in one day.
What you'll need:
- Dulux Weathershield in your chosen sheen and colour
- Drop sheet
- Flat paddle paint stirrer
- Wide paint brush
- 10-12mm nap roller and tray
- Medium grit sandpaper
- Damp cloth
- Bucket for cleaning
- Prepare your fence by removing any bikes, cars or plants that are too close to the area. Brush away any dirt and lay down your drop sheet.
- Test if the paintwork is in good condition by cutting a small ‘X’ through the existing paint with a sharp blade, press cellulose tape firmly across the cut and then rip off the tape. If the paint comes off, it is unsound and should be removed. If the surface is sound, finish with a light but thorough sand.
- Make sure to sand back any small areas where the paint has peeled or cracked, and to fill and spot prime any larger holes and defects.
- Once you’ve sanded your picket fence, you can start painting with Dulux Weathershield straight away, as it is self-priming on most surfaces.
Dulux guarantees that Dulux Weathershield will not blister, flake or peel for as long as you live in your home*.
Dulux Weathershield contains MaxiFlex Stretch Technology. This gives your picket fence a tough, flexible finish for long life protection from all weather conditions
- Open and stir your paint thoroughly, before loading your paint brush.
- To make painting your picket fence a breeze, start by painting the board that runs along the bottom of your fence with your paint brush. Be careful not to pick up any dirt from the ground.
- Then, paint the valleys where your roller can’t reach.
- Once you’ve painted all 3 sides of the valley with an even coat, you can use a roller in a vertical up and down motion, to paint the vertical panels.
- After you’ve finished painting the first coat, wait 2 hours before recoating. Once dry, follow the same process for a second coat. A third coat will need to be applied if the surface is bare timber.
*This guarantee does not cover paint failure caused by any breakdown of coatings applied previously, where Dulux Weathershield is applied over coatings not specified by Dulux, or in the event of substrate failure or faulty application. To claim, you must be living in the house you have painted with Dulux Weathershield. Refer to product label for full conditions. This guarantee does not limit and may not necessarily exceed your rights under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.
More how to guides
If your windows aren’t looking their best, they might need a little bit of TLC to stay protected against the weather elements.
When the sun comes out it’s the perfect time to get your front door looking it’s best before guests start knocking.
Painting your fence has been made easy with the Dulux RapidFinishTM multipurpose spray unit, so you can spend less time painting than if using a brush or roller. See how easy it is!