Your shopping list
- Dulux Aquanamel® Semi Gloss in your chosen colour
- Dulux 1Step® Prep
- High quality synthetic brush for cutting in
- Medium nap (10-18mm) synthetic roller
- Short nap (5-10mm) synthetic roller
General Painting Supplies
- Paint pot – for cutting in
- Roller tray and extension pole
- Drop sheets
- Painter’s masking tape
Colours displayed should be used as a guide for your colour selection. To ensure best accuracy, test your colour choice at home by ordering Dulux Sample Pots and A4 Colour Swatches.
Time to Paint
Creating a statement door
- Lightly sand the surface to a dull finish, wipe clean, then apply 1 coat of Dulux 1Step Prep.
- Stir Dulux Aquanamel thoroughly, then begin painting the smaller panels of the door, then vertical sections in between the panels. Follow with the horizontal sections at the top, middle and bottom. Finally, the outside of vertical panels the full length of the door.
- Allow 2 hours to dry, then lightly sand between coats.
- Complete your second coat with the same process.
TIP: Once you’ve completed an area, while the paint is still wet, lightly smooth over the painted section with long brush strokes – but, don’t overdo or reload the brush – a few brush strokes will smooth the surface.
- Allow to dry and you're finished with a beautiful, almost new, front door.
Refresh your windows & trim
- Ensure all surfaces are prepared thoroughly. If painting a new timber surface, prime with Dulux 1Step Prep.
- Choose a sheen level that complements the walls of your home. Semi Gloss is the perfect match to Low Sheen walls, or you may prefer a Gloss finish.
- Use Dulux colour chips to closely match the existing paintwork on your windows, or try a new colour to refresh your look.
- Apply Dulux Aquanamel to the surface using short, horizontal brush strokes.
- Once you’ve completed an area, while paint is still wet, lightly smooth over the painted section with long brush strokes. Do not reload the brush when you do this, a few strokes should be enough to smooth the surface.
- Allow 2 hours to dry, then give the surface a light sand with 400 grit sandpaper.
- Repeat above steps for a second coat.
For more advice, watch our video on How to Paint Windows.
How to videos
Follow the step-by-step how to series to Take On an outdoor project. Dulux is here to help guide you from colour selection to fool-proof techniques to get the job done. Have a specific question? Contact our Help & Advice team for any help along the way on 13 25 25.
When the sun comes out it’s the perfect time to get your front door looking it’s best before guests start knocking.
If your windows aren’t looking their best, they might need a little bit of TLC to stay protected against the weather elements.
Improve your street appeal easily by refreshing the paintwork on your front fence. With our helpful video and step-by-step guide, you can take on your front fence in one day.