The Moana Life Saving Club was formed in January 1938, and patrolled Moana Beach until 1952 under the auspices of the Royal Life Saving Society of South Australia. The club went into recess during the war years, but in 1945 was back on the beach, only with one piece of patrol equipment, a borrowed surf reel.
In September 1952, the Moana Surf Life Saving Club was formed and affiliated with Henley and Grange Clubs to form the South Australian State Centre, which in turn affiliated with the Surf Life Saving Association of Australia. The majority of the members were also active players for the West Torrens Football Club; hence the Royal Blue and Gold colours were selected. On our competition caps, two parallel gold stripes are there to represent tyre tracks on our sandy beach.
Operating out of an old Bathing Shed just south of our present location, the club grew up in strength, under the guidance of President Mr. Colin Clements. In the summer of 1956-57 the present clubhouse was built, due to dedication and tireless efforts of club members. In 1966, an annex was added on to the northern side of the building, funded with money raised by the Ladies Auxiliary.
Moana Beach has successfully hosted 3 Australian National Titles in 1961, 1982 and 1986, assisted with manpower from our neighbour clubs, several State Senior and Junior Titles as well as normal carnivals.
What we used
Dulux Weathershield will provide complete protection from wind, rain, sun, snow, hail, temperature and humidity.
Find Out More